It’s time for our bi-weekly Links & Stuff post. If you want to stay in the loop before the weekend rolls around follow ADM on Twitter (@artdepartmental) and on our brand new Facebook page where we post all the latest and greatest Film, Art, Architecture and Production Design news. You can find the last Links & Stuff post here.
Robert Stromberg turns his Art Direction Oscar into the Mad Hatter.
Hold on… gag reflex kicking in… can’t write… *barf*
- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) handed out their 83rd annual awards last Sunday, February 27th and made a mockery of themselves, first with the atrocious hosting stylings of Anne Hathaway and Jame Franco and then with Art Direction. They made a huge mistake, in my opinion, awarding Best Art Direction to Robert Stromberg and his team for Alice in Wonderland. This was seen as an upset over Inception and The King’s Speech in this category which were heavily favoured. The King’s Speech won Best Picture as expected. For a list of all the nominees and winners click here. Perhaps next year they could have Ricky Gervais host?😉
- Here is some Book Shelf Porn to wake you up this fine morning.
- 10 Lessons for Young Designers that I certainly won’t forget.
- Several Useful Typography Tips for the graphic designer in all of us.
- The problems with a 16 hr workday and what it says about you.
- The King’s Speech Controversy and Eve Stewart’s lying. Figured I had to mention this at some point. I don’t care what she did. I care that she lied about it. I felt a bit betrayed. Some interesting points were also made in the comments section. It seems most people do not understand art direction in the slightest. This needs to change.
- An interesting short piece by the L.A. Times Awards Insider not long before the Oscars: Best picture nominees use buildings and spaces as symbols.
Thoughts? Have you come across any fascinating links, stories or articles this week that you would recommend?