It’s time to start up our Links & Stuff posts again. I sincerely thank you for your patience; it’s been far too long. If you want to stay in the loop before these posts roll around, follow Art Departmental on Twitter (@artdepartmental) and on Facebook where I post all the latest and greatest film, art, architecture and production design news and views.
Photo of the Month
Chamade Vintage French Photos [EDIT: The site unfortunately no longer exists as of 03/19/17 but many of its photos are still online] is my favourite new discovery online featuring gorgeous vintage photos in arguably the most beautiful country in the world. [EDIT: The site unfortunately no longer exists as of 03/19/17 but many of its photos are still online]
Links of the Month
- 9 Famous Homes You’ve Seen on the Big Screen
- An Illustrated Tribute to the Interiors of Classic Cinema
- 10 Amazing Abandoned Sets from Film and Television
- 15 Things Everyone Does On A Film Set
- What actors really snort, shoot and smoke on set
- 7 Difficulties Friends and Family Have With Your Film Job
- How Our Brains Work When We Are Creative: The Science of Great Ideas
- 50 Costume Test Photos from Famous Films
- A Production Designer’s Work… An Introduction
- Great advice for Film & TV artdept too… “How To Be A Design Boss Without Losing Your Soul”
- Wes AndersonWes Anderson‘s Immaculate Composition Illustrated In Short Video
- Haters and Critics: How to Deal with People Judging You and Your Work
- How Classic Paintings and 3D Printing Brought RoboCop to Life
- 26 Incredible Secret Places Most Travelers Don’t Know About
- The Kylie Minogue case underlines that creatives should be paid
- Divergent Production Designer’s Diary: Bringing a Crumbling Chicago to Life
- The Paradox of Art as Work: There are few modern relationships as fraught as the one between art & money
- Grey’s Anatomy Crewmember Sues Claiming Gender Discrimination
- 7 guidelines for writing emails that people actually want to read
- Stanley Kubrick’s VFX Master Would Like to Introduce You to the Technology that Will Revolutionize Cinema
Video of the Month
Check out the trailer for Eleanor Ambos Interiors, a short film about a self-described ‘crazy’ interior designer in Long Island who creates spaces and rents out furniture from her spaces. You can see a 3 minute clip from the film on the website, Nowness. The film premiered at SxSW and has a runtime of 16 minutes. I hope I get to see the film in its entirety very soon! It looks great.
In the last couple of weeks we’ve lost two major figures in film who were masters of technical achievement. They will be sorely missed.
- R.I.P. The Godfather, Manhattan, & Annie Hall Cinematographer Gordon Willis
- Alien concept designer HR Giger dies at 74
Which articles and links did you love this week? Let me know in the comments.
Rose Lagacé | @artdepartmental